The Prophecy - A Child Will Be Born Unto The House Of David
Old Testament Prophecy
New Testament Fulfillment
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will accomplish this.(Isaiah 9:6-7)
Jesus was born from Mary. His seed planted by Divine will. Even though it was a miraculous virgin birth Jesus was still "a child being born." Some New Testament scripture fulfillment include Matthew 1:23; Luke 1:31-33; 2:7,11.
A child would be born unto the house of David. He would have all the Titles, abilities, authority and accomplishments found in Isaiah 9:6-7.
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace. There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will accomplish this (Isaiah 9:6-7).
His birth as a child points towards His humanity. Other parts of this passage point towards His Divine nature.
The Book of Matthew opens with a record or the Genealogy of Jesus Christ. This is so the link to the house of David can be shown. This part of the prophecy reached its full fulfillment when unto us (the House of David) a child was born which was the birth of Jesus.
Matthew 1: 1-16
1) A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham:
2) Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers,
3) Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar, Perez the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Ram,
4) Ram the father of Amminadab, Amminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon,
5) Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father
6) and Jesse the father of King David. David was the father of Solomon, whose mother had been Uriah's wife,
7) Solomon the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, Abijah the father of Asa,
8) Asa the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Jehoram, Jehoram the father of Uzziah,
9) Uzziah the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, Ahaz the father of Hezekiah,
10) Hezekiah the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amon, Amon the father of Josiah,
11) and Josiah the father of Jeconiah and his brothers at the time of the exile to Babylon.
12) After the exile to Babylon: Jeconiah was the father of Shealtiel, Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel,
13) Zerubbabel the father of Abiud, Abiud the father of Eliakim, Eliakim the father of Azor,
14) Azor the father of Zadok, Zadok the father of Akim, Akim the father of Eliud,
15) Eliud the father of Eleazar, Eleazar the father of Matthan, Matthan the father of Jacob,
16) and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
This is a great prophecy and all parts of it should be studied to develop an understanding of the passage. To read more on Messiahs birth continue in Matthew chapter 1 verse 17.
Articles related to the Isaiah 9:6 prophecy include:
Articles related to our Messiah's birth include:
RBC Ministries. (The Amazing Prophecy of Names)