1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry or all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
Cooking spray or canola for sauteing
1) Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
2) Mix together the buttermilk, egg yolks, lemon rind and ricotta. Stir this mixture gently into the dry ingredients.
3) With a mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
4) Fold the whites into the pancake batter.
5) Use about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake and cook on a non-stick griddle that has been sprayed with cooking spray or brushed with a little oil.
6) Turn the pancakes when they begin to brown on the bottom and the edges begin to look dry.
7) Keep these warm by placing them in a single layer on a baking sheet in a 200 F oven.
It is written, Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God
From "Food for the Soul: Traditional Wisdom for Healthy Eating." Printed in the Forward Newspaper Dec.12-2008